Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Use Many Ways To Find Truth and Knowledge

This post is a collaboration by Professor Larry Jensen and Dena Jensen

I worry about a very limiting belief. It is that there is only one source of knowledge. As many of us already know, the standard for truth in modern society is science. Science defines truth as a standard in courts of law, legislation, public and private debates, and just about everything else. When we want to understand the material or natural world, we must use this unequaled method. We need science. We loves science. But, must  we sometimes look beyond science for other source of truth and knowledge? 

We are then faced with these questions: 

  • How much do I trust my senses?
  • How much do I trust my reasoning?
  • How much do I trust science? 
  • How much do I trust my consequences?
  • How much do I trust my general abstractions?
  • How much do I trust common sense?
Do you or have you spent much time thinking about how you have come to believe what you believe? Much of the general populous do not and that is common to not think about where you came with your knowledge and why you think and believe what you believe. Sometimes we take for granted that what we believe is correct, or else we would not believe it in the first place. 
 Please ask yourself to consider this; "How much do I trust the different paths to knowledge?" This question must weigh in your knowledge and must be considered before accepting what you know to be truth. 

We propose to over the next couple of weeks find an opportunity to consider how you trust the different ways you come to know things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment